Wednesday, August 26, 2015

5 Things I Wish I Were Better At

freepik.com
We all have things we enjoy doing, and usually, they're things we're good at. I love to write and to sing, for example, and I'm lucky to have some degree of talent in those areas.

But for everything we're good at, there's something else we wish we could do. While I know everyone can't be good at everything, here are a few things I wish I were better at.
  1. Sports. As a kid, I didn't pay much attention to sports, and as an adult, I'm often embarrassed to participate in anything that involves athletic prowess of any kind. So I don't.
  2. Details. Some people are idea people and some people are execution people. While I've learned how to map out a plan from idea to execution for big things, it's the day-to-day details that get me. 
  3. Estimating time. I've read almost as much about time management as I have about organization -- or at least enough to have identified my stumbling blocks -- and my biggest one is failing to accurately assess just how long each step of a process will take. I can plan out the process; it just always takes way longer than I think it will.
  4. Creating a mental image. I can imagine what something looks like, but I can't actually see it in my mind very well. Some writers are able to play their unfolding stories like movies in their minds. I am, unfortunately, not one of them.
  5. Cooking. As a teenager, I loved to bake, but I've never loved to cook. To me, it's an inconvenience that interrupts the flow of the day, intruding on whatever else it is I was doing instead. If I suddenly came into a lot of money, I'd hire a personal chef.
I'm not losing sleep over any of these weaknesses, mind you. But, in most cases, I'm not doing anything to get better at any of them either (#3 being a notable exception). 

How about you? What's something you wish you were better at?

No comments:

Post a Comment