Friday, March 20, 2015

Friday Freebie: What I'm Reading in Ten Minutes or Less: Women and Psychiatric Medications

freepik.com
Over the years, I've known a number of people who take antidepressants and/or anti-anxiety medications, nearly all of them women. For some, these medications are a lifeline out of darkness and fear, and I'd no sooner deny those women pharmaceutical assistance than I'd deny a thirsty child a glass of water.

But do we overmedicate? Are we blunting our feelings in order to achieve some ideal emotional state? In this piece from last month's New York Times, psychiatrist Julie Holland argues that sometimes the cure is worse than the illness, particularly for women.

I found myself moved by her arguments, and, if I'm to be honest, a little relieved. How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment